Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Moonlight B

We've been working on setting up a combination video/audio recording studio at school. We already had some small, mostly soundproof music practice rooms, so we knocked out a wall to stick a couple together, put up lights and a bluescreen, and now we've brought in sound recording equipment. The new Macintosh lab is located just across the hall, so it's pretty convenient for audio processing. Right now, I've got my middle school technology electives working on audio dramas. I've been wanting to do some music recording for a while now, though, so the other day I finally sat down and recorded my tin whistle. I then took that track and dropped it into Garage Band, told the program to process like a flute, added a little extra reverb & echo, and underlayed the whole thing with some nighttime sound effects. You can hear the result below. It's a little rough--I'm still working on mic positioning for recording my whistle, and I did the whole thing in one take without any rehearsal, just sort of making it up as I went along. I hadn't planned on keeping this cut, but it turned out so nice I thought I'd share. (There's only audio, no real video--Blogger doesn't seem to want to embed an mp3.)



Ah, the power of Garage Band to make musical magic. This is why we pay so much for you, iMac.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Your mic placement really doesn't seem to have been so bad. Actually, I think the tone came out pretty well. You were obviously playing that whistle pretty loud at your high points, but sounds like you still compressed it out a good bit.

I like the reverb + crickets. I'm surprised at how well it stands alone. Nice invention. Thanks for sharing.